April 13, 1861 – Bombardment of Fort Sumter

Map of Charleston harbor

Civil war has begun! General Beauregard, in accordance with instructions received on Wednesday, from the Secretary of War of the Southern confederacy, opened fire upon Fort Sumter yesterday morning, at twenty-seven minutes after four o’clock. Forts Johnson and Moultrie, the iron battery at Cummings’ Point, and the Stevens Floating Battery, kept up an active cannonade during the entire day, and probably during the past night. The damage done to Fort Sumter had been, up to the last accounts, considerable. Guns had been dismounted, and a part of the parapet swept away.

Major Anderson had replied vigorously to the fire which had been opened upon him, but our despatches represent the injury inflicted by him to have been but small. The utmost bravery had been exhibited on both sides, and a large portion of the Charleston population, including five thousand ladies, were assembled upon the Battery to witness the conflict.

April 6, 1861 – Charleston Affairs

The South Carolinians are evidently tiring of the vascillating policy of the Administration, and we expect to hear of some determined action on their part in a few days, if we are to judge from the following paragraphs, taken from the papers of Charleston of Thursday:

It is said now that the last mortar is in its place, and that the ammunition and supplies are all in our possession, so that every means for the speedy reduction of Fort Sumter may be said to be entirely accomplished. There is no possibility of supplies or reinforcements being thrown in from the sea, for there is not the power in the United Stales Navy to do it, and of course the reduction of Fort Sumter is only a matter of time.

Mayor’s Court

The Charleston Daily News, Charleston, SC, January 28, 1867 A sailor who was drunk and interferring with tho police, and gratuitously informing him that on a rainy night his star…